Ernakulam is the major trading city of Kerala with the most cosmopolitan elite living to the people.Kochi is the district headquarters and known as the queen of the Arabian Sea. Ernakulam is located on the coastal region od the Arabian Sea. This entire landscape of 2407 sq.km is encircled by the Sea and back waters in the East and Kottaym district on the south, Idukki district in the West and Thrissur district in the North. Mostly this landscape is encamped with forest which accounts for 8123-hectares. The history of this place began when a flood that threw open the estuary at Kochi during AD 1341and thus, today it exist as the finest natural harbours in the world. The pre historic stories of Kochi have records from 15th century, when it was the first European township in India when the Portuguese settled here. Today, the city is a home to more , that thirteen communities survive living here. The district has a tropical temperature being situated at the sea level. The Maximum temperature during summer will be 350C and the minimum during winter is 200C. Visitors are happy during their visits between months of September to May.
Ernakulam Tourism Information
Fort Kochi is an enchanting location for the tourists. The walking through’ Fort Cochin is a tour organized by the corporation of Kochi is an eventual interest for the visitors. Added to this some more interesting factors are Chinese fishing nets at the Vasco Da Gama square , Santa Cruz Basilica, St. Francis Church , VOC gate, Bastion Bungalow etc; the visitors have more grace to view the great architectural splendour and a splendid delicious fresh sea food being served at the restaurants to the tourist.
Synagogue is the oldest tabernacle situated at the Fort Kochi, constructed in the year 1566, during common wealth, speaks a great story about Portuguese invasion in 1662 and destroyed, later by the Dutch. Its marvelous outlook of the structure is been clothed with mid 18th century floor tiles from canton in China, a clock tower, Hebrew inscription on stone slabs, oldest scrolls of the Old testament and copper plates of ancient scripts etc. the tabernacle is surrounded by a busy area of spice trade and curio shops , a location of spirituality and business.
Vasco Da Gama square
Vasco Da Gama Square is a relaxing location with nature sounds of nature and a busy eatable stalls. A long narrow esplanade along the beach side is a worth able walk side to imprint foot prints.
Maritime museum can be called as the light house of Indian Navy heritage. It is located at INS Dronacharya in Kochi, the history period Indian Navy dates back to Indus valley civilization, moreover, great facts about Arab trade links with kerala, the famous hero in maritime Kunjali Marakkar and the Indian influences of maritime power in South East Asia and the great detail of colonization of Indian sub-continent by European powers are exposed to think about the past successors. Another part of the campus is spread over with details about ship building in India. A massive experience on sea route exploring the world is read here in this spot.
Indi-Portuguese museum is also here in Kochi speaks about the pre historic details about Portuguese influences to kerala. The rich artistic arts and architecture of the region expresses it and also some extravagant collections bear the mark of Portuguese reign.
Bolghatty island is famous for its palace, built by the Dutch in the year 1744; today the kerala tourism development corporation runs a popular hotel here.
This oldest structure by Grahasthali project has maintained its traditional architectural elements. This home was famous for the great Malayalam writer Malayattoor Ramakrishnan , who sojourned here 100 years back.
The antique sellers of Jew Street
This street is so filled with historical impacts; the sellers of antique articles are the descendants of Jewish population who settled down here in 52 AD. The street is lined with shops selling Curios, Antique crockery, Furniture, Bronze and Brass sculptures and Jewellery.
St. Francis church
St. Francis churuch is the oldest church at Fort Kochi, still exist in this century. Previously the original structure of this church was in timber and today with stone masonry it has its elegant outlook. In the memory of Vasco Da Gama who died in 1524, was buried here and still the tombstone bears the historic witness.
Pierce leslie bungalow
This is another historic evidence of Portuguese reign in kerala, this building is the office Pierce Leslie & Co, coffee merchant in the year 1862. Its water front verandas and the architectural values add more impacts to the reign of Dutch and Portuguese.
Old harbour house
The old boat house club is now an elegant bungalow, this was built in 1808 and it is possessed by Carrit Moran & Co. the renowned tea brokers, who now use it as their residence.
During the Indo- European colonial period through architectural transition this building was constructed by Samuel S. Koder as the Cochin Electric Company in the year 1808.
Delta study is a high school today, but, wherein, it was once a warehouse with great heritage of historic trade factors during 1808.
Loafer’s corner / Princess Street
One of the oldest streets in Fort Kochi, Princess Street still exposes the same charm of European delight in residence structure and on the street too.
It was said that vasco da gama lived in this building and this is one of the oldest Portuguese residence in Fort Kochi.
This is a large wooden gate built in the year 1740 by the Dutch East India Company. The gate faces the parade ground with the monogram (VOC) craved in it.
Today, it’s a big sports arena for the people in Fort Kochi, but its history does speak about the great soldiers of Portuguese, the Dutch and the British colonists who marched their military parades and drills in this ground.
The United Club
Among the four, this was once an elite club for the British in Kochi, and later from 1907 the building survived as the offices of the Fort Kochi municipality and today it is a classroom for the nearby St. Farncis primary school.
The Bishop’s house
This is a residence of the Portuguese Governor from 1506. This house is beautifully located at a hillock near the parade ground. The 27th bishop Dom Jos Gomes Ferreira who was in charge of Kochi, Burma Malaya and Ceylon diocese jurisdiction lived here.
The Dutch cemetery
These ancient tombstones was constructed from 1724 and managed by the church of south India today.
You get a graceful sight of the Gelder land, Bastion among seven bastion of the Old Dutch Fort where, once the home for the managers of the National Bank of India, while the British reign. Today, it is the Ram Bahadur Thakur Company that trades tea is situated.
This is the oldest building of the Dutch East India Company built in the year 1625, bears the name after the later occupant Mr. David Koder, who was a Jewish business man.
The Cochin club
This club is housed at a beautiful landscape and park clubbed in with impressive collection of books and sporting trophies.
Today, it is the official residence to the Sub- Collector of the district. Wherein, once it was the bungalow at the Stromsburg bastion of the Old Dutch fort built in the Indo-European style which ages back in 1667’s.
This is a beautiful man made island named after Lord Willington who was the former British viceroy of India. The backwaters that has made to surround a pieces of land and formed as an island. Today, it exists as a best city site for best hotels and trading centers with the port trust and the southern naval command headquarters building.
This is one of the bastions of the Portuguese in Kochi, who made an alliance between the Maharaja of Kochi and the monarch of the Portuguese named Immanuel. The fort was built in the year 1503, and reinforced in 1538 and by 1806; its walls and other building importance were damaged by the Dutch and British invasions.
Parikshith Thampuran Museum
This museum houses a collection of coins, bronzes, copies of murals and megalithic relics of kerala.
Ernakulam Tour Information
A wonderful land filled of groves and waters. It is accessible by boat from Ernakulam, a lovely island named Vypeen is ideal for swimming. Coconut grove and Chinese fishing nets are its added bliss to this spot.
A palace of Dutch is situated here was built by the Portuguese in the year 1557 and presented to Raja Veera Kerala Verma and in 1663 by the Dutch it was renovated. This palace has been built typically to the style of kerala mansion ‘the Nalukettu’, the traditional values unchanged provides a homely aristocracy, nobility and upper class outlook with four separate wings opening out to a central courtyard are the exquisite excitement. Moreover, some great collections of murals , royal paraphernalia’s like , weapons, swings and furniture exposes a glimpse of royal living of those families lived those days.
In other words it is called as the
Hill Palace. It was once the house of the royal family of Kochi which
was built in 1865 and today it is the largest archaeological museum
in kerala. Displays of Oil paintings, Murals, Sculptures in stone and
manuscripts , Inscriptions Coins, belongings of the Kochi royal family
, royal furniture even simhasana(throne) is been exhibited and also
a contemporary artistic gallery house to be visited.
This is another museum of kerala that spells a few words about the immortal history and creations of the great rich culture through paintings. Namely, some masters whose works are displayed Maestro Mammiyoor Krishnan KuttyNair, Raja Ravi Verma, MF. Hussain folk style painter Jamini Roy and the abstract style painter Manu Parekh and many more that to be admired in this location.
A signature of unity is witnessed here in this location, a church, a temple a mosque and a Jewish synagogue all at a close proximity; enhance the spiritual unity in mankind. This land was once the abode of the Paliath Achans, the prime minister of the maharajas of Kochi. Their residence, the Palian palace represents the exquisite architectural designs of kerala and also this palace house has a variety collections of historic documents and relics and the other spot of visit could be the Vypeenkotta seminary built in the 16th century by the Portuguese.
This is the birth place of Adi Sankaracharya , a great Advaita philosopher of the 8th century. The temples here are dedicated to Sri Sankara Sarada Devi, sriKrishna and Sri Ramakrishna.
Here, you have the temple of Vamanamoorthy, and the inscriptions dates back to the 10th – 13th century.
It is a hillock famous for bearing a Catholic church dedicated to St.Thomas at a height of 609m. It is believed that St. Thomas has prayed at this shrine those days. It has a combination of Greco- roman architecture and the annual festival seasons are March and April.
Places to visit nearby
Malayatoor apart from this shrine
This is a place with precious relics of St. Thomas are preserved here, the building structures with a blend of Greco- Indian architecture, so elegant and admiring.
A worship place found spacious on the mount with modern architectural blend.
Kurisumudi is where one can find the golden cross, it’s a belief that it have formed when St, Thomas knelt on a rock and signed a cross with his finger, and miracles happen where there are staunch beliefs.
Foot prints of St. Thomas
The most awesome inquisitive sight at the mountain is that permanent foot print and the knee mark of St. Thomas is imprinted at the rock is a real rocking news to view.
The ancient chapel struck by the elephants
This chapel has a historic story of elephants attack happened those days. It is located in Kurisumudi amidst the deep thick jungle. Deep tusk marks are still found in the back wall of the chapel.
The miraculous water spring
It is said that when St. Thomas was thirsty while prayer time, he hit the rock for fresh water to drink. Then on, the spontaneous water flow as well still exists with divine power to heal all sorts of ailments and sickness. It is located near the chapel which makes more devotees to be prayerful to quench their need thirst.
This place is a n elephant training centre like this two other spots for elephants training zone are Muthanga of Wayanad district and Konni of Pathanamthitta district. This Kodanad is situated on the high ranges on the southern bank of the river Periyar.
(model tourist village 25 km)
India’s first tourist village located near to the port city of Kochi. This spot is a sure treat to the visitor with its famous Chinese fishing nets and with other delicious nativity food items.
How to get there
The district is well connected with
Bus routes, Rail route to all the parts of the country and nearby island
are connected by the local boat services. Kochi has an airport and a